The Cowl That Would Be a Tablet Cover
Recently I became the proud new owner of a Samsung tablet. I got a cover for it that fits it like a glove. The cover protects it from dings and scratches, but it’s not really cushioned. So I decided to knit something that I could slide it into to give the whole thing a little more cushion. I saw a cowl at YarnWorks that was made from one skein of yarn. I thought the stitch pattern would give enough loft that it would pad the tablet nicely, especially when I cram it into my purse and dash out the door. The more I looked at it and the beautiful yarn it was made of I decided to make a cowl first for my Mother, then use the pattern with something thicker for the cover. While the cover for my tablet has yet to be started, the cowl is done, and I have one Yule present completed.
The yarn is Malabrigo – Silky Merino. Its a lovely variegated yarn made from 51% silk and 49% merino wool, color-way Caribeno 474, sport weight or #3. How can you go wrong with this combination? The pattern is called Seaweed Cowl, and while it’s available on the web, I obtained mine from Yarnworks. It took just one skein, the pattern is just easy enough that you can get lost in your thoughts working it. It makes a fabric that looks great on both sides. I needed to alter this pattern slightly to prevent it from strangling my Mother when she put it on. It calls for a cast on of 84 with size 8 circular needles, but I cast on 120 with size 7 (I’m a loose knitter). The pattern repeats are in multiples of 6, so cast on as many as you like as long as it can be divided by six. I chose a knitted cast on, for some reason my favorite, and for the first time used metal needles. The needles are the Hiya Hiya, and I’m reserving judgement on these until I use them more. They are so slippery that I thought my stitches were going to fall off every time I looked up or laid them down. But, people rave about them and I’m not accustomed to the metal, so in time they may become my favorite. The pattern is simple:
2 Rows of P4, K2
2 Rows of P3, K3
2 Rows of P2, K4
2 Rows of P1, *K4, P2, rep from * end in K4, P1
2 Rows of P1, *K3, P3, rep from * end in K3, P2
2 Rows of P1, *K2, P4, rep from * end in K2, P3
Complete these twelve rows four times or until you’re nearly out of yarn and use an elastic bind off like P2tog, slip stitch back to Left needle, P2tog and rep until all stitches are bound off.
This yarn comes in a skein that will need to be wound into a ball, I used my swift and ball winder to wind this into a center pull ball. This yarn has a slickness to it due to the large percentage of silk, so be generous with your yarn tail and weave it in securely to prevent it popping out later. I finished this cowl by following the directions on the yarn tag for the most part. I hand washed in cool water, removed a lot of the extra water by wrapping it a towel for a few minutes, then laid it out flat. I wanted as much texture as I could muster, so while it was still just the slightest bit damp, I placed it on a dryer rack and scrunched it up and placed it in the dryer for a brief time on hot so finish the drying process. This rack is for shoes, so the cowl just laid on the rack not moving in the center of the dryer, it didn’t tumble. It has an incredible shine and is so soft to the skin, I think my Mother will just love it. Now I’m off to find or spin some thicker sturdier yarn to hold that tablet…..