Distelfink Woven Tapestry ~
The distelfink woven tapestry hex sign is finished. I worked on this project to advance my tapestry weaving skills. Now I have to figure out what to do with it. I want to hang it on the wall of course. There are a few things I have to consider. Do I line the back, how do I hang it, what hardware to use and how do I make it stand out since it’s small? So much to consider, and I tried a few things before I settled on anything. A few trial and errors later and it’s nearly “wall ready”.
First things first, I can’t hang it while it’s still mounted on the loom (I could, but it’s not what I’m looking for). I need to remove it from the loom, and take out the bottom hem. First I removed the bottom hem, it was there to get me started. Having a difficult time keeping the bottom even, I have a better idea why we start at the very bottom of the loom. Since I’ve not settled on a finishing treatment, I cut it from the loom, leaving as much warp as possible. I measured the sides to give me an idea how much my selvages were off from top to bottom. Conventional tapestry weaving has given me a challenge keeping my sides straight (I seem to have this challenge with every type of weaving). Using a measure guide, pins and an iron, I get my tapestry squared up as much as possible. I folded some of the sides to the back to make it more even. I pinned and pressed it to hold; I tacked down the extra with a needle and sewing thread. It’s not perfect, but it looks better.
I tried several treatments with the warp threads before I settled on using beads. Having more experience with Navajo weaving, I don’t usually have these warp threads to contend with. I tried knots, then a hem, then I found some wood beads that I thought would go well with the image, and would add some weight. I began by placing two threads through a bead along the bottom, and it didn’t take long to realize the beads were too crowded. I played around with it until I got it. Using three strands per bead, and adding another row that was staggered, gave me the look I wanted. I tied these off using an over hand knot and knotting tweezers to place my knot where I wanted. I used a similar treatment to the top.
I bought a canvas to paint an abstract background on, and mount the weaving. I was perplexed as to how I was going to mount it to the canvas. I thought about using a stick to tie the top warps to and hang from. I have some bamboo, so I measured the length I wanted, and cut the piece with a razor knife. I tried a variety of ways to connect the weaving to the bamboo. I used T-pins to hold the bamboo and weaving in place. I settled on pulling one warp behind the bamboo and two over, then tying an overhand knot and placing it well behind the bamboo, hiding it from the front. I like the look of it. I may still mount it to a canvas. I’ll need a larger canvas than the one I bought. If I use one, then I’ll paint the canvas, perhaps with a combination of blues and white, and mount the weaving to it. Then I can find an empty wall, preferably near a door. The distelfink is a stylized European Goldfinch, and it’s used in Fraktar (Pennsylvania Dutch folk art) to symbolize Happiness and Good Fortune.