Tapestry Weaving DVD Project 2
Finally completed the second project from my DVD, Tapestry Weaving by Nancy Harvey. I have to admit, I considered skipping this project since it covers interlock joins, Pick and Pick (Coalmine), and Wavy horizontal lines (Crystal), and I have experience with these already. I’m glad that I did this project anyway as I learned two more ways to interlock my weft and Wavy lines is always enjoyable.
Of the three interlocks she demonstrates: one I’ve used extensively and find a tad lumpy, the second goes around a raised warp and looks a little better, and the third works the same as the second but the wefts travel in opposite directions and thus interlock on different picks. This third interlock technique allows you to change the shape’s size easily without the need of breaking your weft or having two wefts in the same shed. I think this might be the best way to combine turned warp with interlock. I’ll have to experiment on this in the future.
This weaving ends the way it starts, with some Wavy lines. I measured and found that this weaving was coming up a little short. This could be from flipping the cartoon around. Since the top is a mirror image of the bottom, I decided to flip it (cartoon) rather than draw it out. I may have lost a 1/4 inch when I did that by poor cartoon positioning. I decided to weave a few more pics of my interlock section, then some extra picks of wavy lines. I would have just gone with it the way it was, but since this will become a pillow, it will need to fit the pillow form.
Once my 14 inches was reached, I wove the hem. I began my hem with a row of Soumak knots to be sure the warp will remain covered when I turn the hem to the back. Then I wove the hem to match the bottom hem in approximate height. I used some warp to tie double half hitches to each warp, this secures the weft from coming loose. I cut the weaving from the loom by cutting just over an inch from the edge of the hem. I laid the ends of my wefts over each other in the shed so I would have very few ends to weave in later. On the back, I used a needle to run the dozen or so weft ends into the weaving. It’s not entirely reversible, but almost. I hope when I make this into a pillow that I pay close attention and sew it right side out.