ONWARD AND UPWARD

Getting The Party Started And Pushing Forward

Everything I need. Pattern, magnification, DMC Cebelia, beads and a row counter.

Everything I need. Pattern, magnification, DMC Cebelia, beads and a row counter.

By party, I mean projects, of course.  I’ve finally started the lovely Chatelaine Bag from the  September/October 2013 issue of Piecework magazine.  I’ve got nearly two bobbins of the Icelandic Fleece spun for the Mittens, and evidently I’ve overcome my fear of shapes and color with tapestry weaving.  It feels good to see works in progress actually progressing and not just elements of it laying about waiting for me to get the lead out.

Beaded crochet worked from the wrong side (of fabric) to keep the beads on right side. The beading is in a pattern that's easy to predict from row to row thankfully. Tiny gauge

Beaded crochet worked from the wrong side (of fabric) to keep the beads on right side. The beading is in a pattern that’s easy to predict from row to row thankfully. Tiny gauge

The Chatelaine Bag is a beaded crochet project.  I worked tirelessly getting my gauge right and finding the right supplies for it.  I was a little intimidated by the graph, but the rows of beading so far, are in a predictable pattern.  I’m a bit ashamed to say how many times I pulled out row three and redid it, so I wont.  Once was after I finished row four.  Live and learn.  The DMC Cebelia I’m using for it stands up well and hasn’t split once.  How refreshing, thank you Barbara at YarnWorks for ordering it for me.  Since the stitches are so difficult to see with the black thread, I crocheted two rows of regular un-beaded single crochet instead of one.  This allowed me to double check my stitch count and get my gauge a tad tighter.  The fabric its making curls/biases a bit, but I think I can fix that with a little blocking.  I like the way it looks and I think I’ll love this little chatelaine bag.  I’m enjoying it regardless of the fact that I had to pull out and re-do part of it.  It’s starting to look pretty too, my favorite part of any project.  This bag is crochet from the wrong side to keep the beads all on the right side.  The increases have gotten me a little confused.  I’m so accustomed to reading, “work two single crochets in the next stitch” not just the extra box on a chart, but I’m getting the hang of it.  Perhaps there’s hope for me and reading charts for knit and crochet yet.

Tapestry weaving. A distalfinc, its coming along if a bit slowly. One leaf and part of a branch.

Tapestry weaving. A distalfinc, its coming along if a bit slowly. One leaf and part of a branch.

My tapestry loom has been warped for over a month now.  I got the hem wove and started on the background.  I just couldn’t seem to weave up to a design element.  I think that I was nervous about drawn shapes.  I’m so accustomed to geometrical shapes, counting warps and weaving from side/selvage to side/selvage that a simple leaf is intimidating.  Well, I finally made it to a stem and leaf.  Not too crazy about the stem, but I actually like the leaf.  In a year I may be embarrassed by it, but for now, I don’t think it’s too bad.   I have some Candle-wicking cotton that was given to me, and I decided to use that.  I also have some embroidery floss given to me by the same person and I’m putting that to some use as well.  I think the shiny embroidery floss may bring out the design elements against the matte candle-wicking cotton.  I can’t wait to start the bird in the weaving.  I hope to excel in this form of weaving, so fingers crossed!!!  There is  Tapestry Weaving workshop scheduled in nearly a year here in Florida that I hope to attend (providing I can save, save, save)

Hand Carded Rolags ready to spin.  My Howard Hand Carders are flat and new and work well.

Hand Carded Rolags ready to spin. My Howard Hand Carders are flat and new and work well.

The Icelandic Fleece is coming along nicely.  I seem to spend a fair amount of time spinning or preparing fiber to spin, then I leave it alone for a period of time.  I spun one batt that I hand carded into rolags and that filled a bobbin enough to make me happy.  I spun another batt onto a second bobbin and didn’t have nearly as much of the bobbin filled.  So apparently the batts are uneven enough that I will have to eyeball when the bobbins are nearly all filled the same.  I plan to spin three bobbins then ply them to one yarn.  As one of my bobbins has a mile or so of alpaca on it and I own only 4 bobbins, I’ll need to beg, borrow or steal another bobbin (buy as a last resort, It’s the shipping that kills you).  Thankfully the pattern I’m using lists a yardage requirement.  I hope its close as I plan to measure my yarn to be certain I have enough.  I think you get better results when you spin all your yarn at once, rather than going back to spin more after you’re well into the project.  Busy, busy, busy, its all these pesky house and living chores (Cleaning, cooking, eating, sleeping, etc) that keep me from my true purpose in life, to be buried in fiber art projects.  What a way to go…….

View this post online for proper formatting and see the entire photo gallery.

A website devoted to learning, sharing and teaching a wide range of fiber arts. Inkle, Tablet and Navajo style weaving, Spinning, Knitting, Crochet, Sewing and Lace Making. Silver Work, Beading and Tool Making grace my bench as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*