Well, it appears that I’m not suffering from second mitten syndrome. It’s completed and nearly dry. I can’t believe how fast the second one worked up. I’m so glad that I kept notes that I was able to quickly reference. I tried on the second mitten only three times, because I knew how many rows each part would take. Now I have a pair of mittens that I can don when winter comes and I have to do some menial task outside. I have thought of making a tether for them to keep them together and perhaps hang by the back door so I can find BOTH of them when I need them. I haven’t given any thought yet as to whether I’ll add buttons like the article shows. I’ll have to sleep on that, perhaps if I stumble upon something that screams, “Sew me to your raven mittens”, and then I’ll have no choice.
The color-work part of the second mitten went a lot easier. I found a better tension method and controlling the yarns was a little smoother. I still need a larger color-work project to get more comfortable with this technique and make it look better. I still have some draw in at the ravens, however, they look better and I fought with the yarn less. The yarn floats on the inside would do better if they were shorter, but I did give them a twist every so often around the other yarn to keep them from snagging when I wear it. Color-Work certainly adds a level of difficulty to the project. Paying attention to the chart, the yarns and my knitting at the same time can make it more challenging (add to this conversations I’m holding and the never ending text messages). Thankfully this color-work pattern was super easy and I took the time to amend the pattern for my project.
When I got to the thumb, I decided to approach this differently. In an effort to avoid the holes I had to stitch closed on the other. I picked up two more stitches on this thumb right where my holes were on the other. To maintain the stitch count I had on the other, I decreased these stitches on my first row around. When I got to the top of the thumb, I realized that I didn’t follow the printed pattern directions properly, so I finished the second thumb per pattern instructions to see the difference. The properly tapered thumb looks better. You have to hold them side to side and compare them to see the difference. So like my hands, my mittens are sisters and not twins, but they look like they belong together.
I really enjoyed this project. It started off as a side trip with someone special to buy some fleeces. I washed the fleece and processed it partially, completely clueless of what I would use it for. I found the perfect project for it reading an article in a spin off magazine that I was really just breezing though. I further processed the fleece so I could re-produce the yarn called for in the article. For all I know the two yarns could be worlds apart, but it worked. I spun and plied and sampled, finding my target yarn. Spinning and plying the yarn and dyeing the red and black. Knitted the first mitten and learning little things along the way (learning can be so much fun when you look past the initial frustration). Knitting the second mitten was a real treat. I got to spend some time in Cedar Key, FL with someone special and enjoy my knitting while sharing the most amazing sunset.