Copper Loom Make Over
I have my Brennan style loom, adapted for my personal use. Thinner, lighter pipes and shorter, so It’s less heavy and will require less warp for smaller weaving’s. I decided to decoupage the loom so I won’t get the copper patina all over my hands. It was a bit time consuming and I learned a few things along the way
The first thing I did was go to the craft store and get some scrap book paper. First, I got all the same kind. I thought better of it later and went back and got some that were different but in color ranges that I thought would go well together. I also found some decoupage sealer, because my experience with Mod Podge has led me to the conclusion that it will remain tacky without an additional sealer.
I tore the paper into squares so I would have manageable sized pieces to work with. Paint a small area with Mod Podge and allow to dry slightly. I painted the back side of the paper with Mod Podge because it will have to stick to itself as well as the loom. I staggered the papers in what I considered a pleasing fashion. You have to allow the mod Podge to completely dry before adding a top coat. I applied one top coat then added a self adhesive measure tape to the top and bottom bars to make warping easier. Then I applied two more top coats allowing each to dry. Then I sprayed on the sealer. I applied three coats of sealer allowing each to completely dry.
I learned a few things with this. First, while I like my finished product, I think I was on the right track buying all one type of paper. I think I would have liked it more if it was all uniform. Also, there are joints that hold the pipes together. On the bottom, I applied the paper over the joints and pipes, so the joints would be less noticeable. On the rest, I carefully applied paper to the joint and pipes separately. While the joints are less visible where they are papered as one, there is some air-space where the pipe and joint are. I’m not sure if that will affect its longevity, but I can always redo it later. I think next time I may stick to one kind of paper and decoupage the pipe and joint separately. The sealer is a spray type, which I like, but it leaves lots of bubbles and has a tendency to pool and leave large drops. It was necessary to run a finger over the loom to level the bubbles and remove large drips that accumulated.
All in all I’m happy with my project and would do it over again.
To view the post in its original format and access the entire photo gallery click the link and visit the blog online